// Submissions for the Boshemia Magazine Issue 04: POWER are now open! Issue coming this autumn //
Submissions for the blog are open, ongoing, and very welcome!
The most common thing people ask about submissions is “what are you looking for?” The answer to that is simple—we’re looking for your voice. We don’t have a specific callout as we publish a diverse range of work, from creative pieces to personal essays to satire to pop culture reviews to socio-political commentary to quasi-academic analysis to visual art pieces and video—in short, we’re open to everything. We welcome all formats, so choose whichever medium of expression carries your voice the best.
Please use the form below to contact us with your pitch for your work. This should be less than 300 words long and should briefly summarise the intended content and/or themes of your work. We will then get in touch with you to discuss your submission further.
Please make sure you take the time to read the Submission Guidelines thoroughly before submitting. By completing the contact form below you are agreeing to the terms set out below.
We look forward to hearing your voices!
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES – PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE SUBMITTING
PLEASE NOTE: As we are such a small and new enterprise, we are unfortunately unable to pay writers and artists (or Boshemia staff!) for their work at this time. We understand that this is not ideal and can be a barrier for some people, and are working hard on finding ways to compensate those whose work we publish; this is one of our top priorities as Boshemia grows. In the meantime, please accept the humble apology and immense gratitude of the three Boshemia founders. Your energy and contribution is what makes Boshemia a truly remarkable endeavour.
1. As a guide, a traditional article-style piece should be roughly 500-800 words long for blog publication, and between 400-600 for print. However, this is more a guide than a rule, especially for alternative genres and formats. For submissions of artwork we accept any size or dimensions, but if you are submitting for print bear in mind that we print in A5 size (148x210mm). Please make sure you are able to provide high-resolution versions to us for print, as work sent in low resolution may not be able to be printed.
2. We intend for Boshemia to be an inclusive, intersectional community and above all a safe space. We will not tolerate proposals which promote hate, directly or indirectly promote erasure of voices marginalised communities, or explicitly or implicitly express prejudice against marginalised groups. This list could go on. It can also be summarised in the simple phrase “don’t be an asshole”.
3. Once a proposal has been approved, we will give you a time frame for completion. After this deadline your article will be proof-read and, if necessary, returned to you for edits. We reserve the right to edit for grammar, typos and clarity. We will endeavour not to significantly alter the content of the article so as not to mask the author’s voice. NOTE: We cannot always guarantee a specific date or time frame for publication, as our schedule is always fluctuating and changing to allow for current events to be discussed. We will aim to let you know with as much accuracy as possible when we expect your piece to go live.
4. If responding to topical news or events, please be aware of the place that your voice has in that dialogue. Do not speak over the voices of those more marginalised than yourself, or those whose voices are more appropriate to speak on the subject.
DISCLAIMER: We retain the right to decide not to publish any finished article. In this case you will be informed of this decision at the earliest possible opportunity.
5. We respect confidentiality. We understand that you may not wish to have your name publicly attached to a piece of work. In this instance, please make this clear to us and we will guarantee to not associate your name anywhere with the finished piece.
6. Your work remains your own; we retain no rights to work published on Boshemia by guest contributors. You are welcome to publish your written work on other platforms after it has been published on Boshemia, but you will be required to follow our branding/sharing guidelines. (Different terms apply for artwork, please message us for details).
These guidelines may sound daunting, but they’re to protect you and your work, us, and the Boshemia community. We intend for Boshemia to remain a respectful and positive space. Go forth and submit!